For those of you whom I didn't meet at yesterday's orientation, welcome to our blog! From yesterday's show of hands, it seems that most of you either have your own blogs or hang out in the "blogosphere" in some way, so you should feel comfortable participating here as you dig into our selected reading: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer.
Think of this blog as sort of an online book club where you can comment on the book, the author, the designer of the book cover (see first link on sidebar) and proffer any other ideas or questions you may have about reading and writing novels. And in the case of this "book club", in addition to your peers, you have two English instructors to answer your questions and help you sort through your ideas. We're looking forward to hearing from each of you!
And speaking of links, we'll be introducing additional, related reading to you throughout the summer to help round out this common reading experience. I'm always interested in learning about those things that might have influenced an artist, and I was especially moved by this account of an accident that happened to Foer when he was a child. Check it out here: www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/feb/28/jonathan-safran-foer-the-explosion
Happy reading,
Joan
Think of this blog as sort of an online book club where you can comment on the book, the author, the designer of the book cover (see first link on sidebar) and proffer any other ideas or questions you may have about reading and writing novels. And in the case of this "book club", in addition to your peers, you have two English instructors to answer your questions and help you sort through your ideas. We're looking forward to hearing from each of you!
And speaking of links, we'll be introducing additional, related reading to you throughout the summer to help round out this common reading experience. I'm always interested in learning about those things that might have influenced an artist, and I was especially moved by this account of an accident that happened to Foer when he was a child. Check it out here: www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/feb/28/jonathan-safran-foer-the-explosion
Happy reading,
Joan
Hi! I think I'm the first to comment here. Lucky me! I read the article. It was interesting to me noting the cultural attitude of the decade and the lack of safety conscious and politically correct lock-downs that you would see in waivers and forms signing your child's soul away to such a Summer Camp. Letting kids make highly flammable substances would be immediately rejected and regarded as an appalling notion in today's society. However, this is a natural thing that kids do on their own, unwatched, just part of growing up. But bureaucracy in every facet of life isn’t the point here, so I digress.
ReplyDeleteI think self-reflection on notable events in one’s life is an important part of educational and intellectual growth. It seems as though the author in this instance frequently writes brief snapshots of memories that he seemingly struggles to put together into a cohesive timeline. I believe this is in part due to the time passed since this event occurred, but also his age at the time of the event as well. It’s something of a rare glimpse at a vivid childhood memory. The mannerisms exhibited as such are intriguing, as they differ strongly from what you’d expect of an adult’s reaction. I think these aspects parallel his novel in many ways, based upon what I’ve read so far.
I think the transitioning of emotional states throughout this article is to be expected. I didn’t find much to note in this regard. It’s the underlying message he tries to convey throughout the article, and I don’t think there is much to draw upon that wasn’t very directly presented. Towards the end and in the dated notes I think you find a more efficiently stated version of his healing progression following the event. In short, the emotional scarring hit him much harder, but he recovered in due time. I think it’s reasonable to conclude what happened to him emotionally is that he was forced to grow up and recognize some harsh realities about this world. This isn’t a problem meant to be encountered at such an age. However, I think when this sort of thing does happen, it often makes the individual stronger if they can power through it.
My thoughts on this issue may seem a bit dry, as I don’t strongly empathize with this sort of thing. However, I hope something can be drawn from my conclusions and begin a discussion. I’m looking forward to reading other’s thoughts as well. Thank you for starting this community! I look forward to meeting you all in person in the months ahead.
Sincerely,
William Oglesby
Thanks for you inciteful commentary, William. Welcome to our/your blog-we think it will be a great community, if we do say so ourselves!
ReplyDeleteYes, I believe that if someone suffers a traumatic event like this or other major loss while still a child, it not only has an impact at the time, but sometimes for the rest of the person's life. I also tend to believe (and I may be overstating the case), that a shocking or traumatic event or loss as a child can make that person more empathetic to others-an "I feel your pain" kind of thing. I tend to see that reflection of empathy in young Oskar-how about you?
I love what you said about Foer struggling to put his memories into a "cohesive timeline". Do you think that's ever possible, given our nature and the nature of memories? And Oskar is certainly struggling with memories, but with a child's perspective. We may want to think more about this struggle and how it's reflected in the novel as we continue reading.
I'd love to hear more from you and other students-we're off and running!